You Can Help
Police PTSD is Real
& Police Suicide is Real
For too many years both have been law enforcement's dirty little secret for years. More officers die each year by their own hand than are killed by felonious assault.
Those of us in law enforcement know that the stress from our job can be toxic and at times debilitating. What we don’t seem to believe is that it can happen to us, or someone we work with. And when it does, as individuals we don’t know what to do about it. But it can be treated.
Officers are suffering in silence, fearful of the opinion of their peers if they seek help. Fearful of losing their job if the bosses find out. So they pretend all is well until that is no longer possible, and the beast within escapes to destroy them.
Dealing with the serious workplace issue of PTSD is the highest priority of the Colorado Police Officers Foundation.
We are working hard in this area, and are committed to making a difference for Colorado's finest. We are working in many areas with the goal of putting a bright light on this serious subject.
To address the myriad of issues surrounding this subject, the Foundation has developed a resource team of experienced law enforcement experts.
Our resource team includes:
- Two psychiatrists who work extensively in the field of law enforcement mental health and trauma issues.
- Two highly experienced peer support and crisis intervention officers.
- A drug and alcohol abuse counselor who specializes in working exclusively with first responders.
- Two workers comp attorneys who specialize in work related police officer PTSD claims.
- An alcohol/substance abuse treatment facility exclusive to treating 1st responders & military suffering PTSD.
All the resource and treatment referrals that we offer to our members are provided on a completely confidential basis. We are also working on both education and awareness in this area.
Managing the resources necessary for treatment and referral programs for these officers in need is an expensive proposition. The Foundation relies solely on public & corporate donations along with grants, to support our efforts and maintain our ability to provide resources.
No amount of generosity is too small or too great.
If you are in need of help or interested in finding out more go to our "Contact" page.
Thank you for your support.